Xem thêm: Review 4 (Units 9 - 10)
1. Read the text about lifelong learning. (Đọc văn bản về học tập suốt đời)
Lifelong learning: Why?
The astonishing speed of technlogical development makes it necessary for individuals to learn new skills and keep improving them throughout their lives.
The term lifelong learning (LLL) refers to the continuous accumulation of an individual's knowledge and skills. Apart from the knowledge, skills, attitudes, and behaviours people acquire in their everyday lives, LLL consists of three forms: formal, non-formal, and informal learning. Formal learning is learning that happens in formal and organised settings like schools and universities, and very often leads to certificates or degrees. While non-formal learning is considered learning gained in planned activities like vocational skills training, informal learning is learning acquired from daily life activities.
LLL offers a great number of benefits to individuals, communities, and the country. First of all, it brings individuals knowledge, enhances their existing skills, stimulates learning experiences, and builds up systems of values, necessary for them as social human beings. Secondly, knowledgeable individuals make communities more productive and creative with their up-to-date skills, abilities, and ideas. Today's fast-changing knowledge economy requires workers who are well- prepared for new challenges by constant learning. Thirdly, LLL helps the country to prosper. An able, skilful, and knowledgeable person can enormously contribute to his/ her country's development and prosperity, which in turn contributes to the happiness and well-being of its citizens. Obviously, LLL is so important that all individuals should learn throughout their lives.
2. Read the text again and answer the questions. (Đọc lại văn bản và trả lời các câu hỏi)
3. Work with a partner. Discuss the career planning steps below. Which one is the most important to you? (Làm việc cùng một người bạn. Thảo luận về bước lập kế hoạch sự nghiệp dưới đây. Cái nào là quan trọng nhất đối với bạn?)
CAREER PLANNING STEPS
4. Listen to a talk about lifelong learning.
Decide whether the following statements are true (T), false (F), or not given (NG).
Nghe nói chuyện về học tập suốt đời.
Quyết định xem các nhận định sau đây là đúng (T), sai (F), hoặc không xác định (NG).
Click tại đây để nghe:
Đáp án: 1. T 2.T 3.T 4.F 5. NG 6.NG
Well, as I said earlier, the world around us is changing at an amazing speed. If we do not keep our knowledge and skills sharp and up-to-date, we will soon be left behind.
Firstly, lifelong learning, or LLL, sharpens our mind and improves our memory. Generally, learning has positive effects on human brain. Research reveals that people with more education are less likely to suffer from memory loss in old age. Secondly, LLL makes people more confident in their ability to leam, to work, and to share information with others.
In addition, lifelong learners have better interpersonal skills. When learning, we often engage with life and people, which, in turn, enhances our relationships and sharpens our skills. Learning forces us to continuously listen, read, write, and speak. While we build up and enhance these skills, we also improve our ability to communicate with colleagues, customers, and other people.
Furthermore, LLLcanalsoimproveourcareeropportunities. Not only can we enhance the skills we already have, but we can also take advantage of opportunities to learn new skills or maximise our chances of career growth.
In summary, in the 21st century we all need to be lifelong learners if we want to succeed in life.
5. Read the job advertisement in the newspaper Viet Nam News and think about the qualities and experience you may need for the job. (Đọc quảng cáo tuyển dụng trên báo Việt Nam News và suy nghĩ về những phẩm chất và kinh nghiệm bạn có thể cần cho công việc. )
TOUR GUIDE WANTED
Happy Travels needs a young, self-motivated, enthusiastic, and friendly person to work as a tour guide at their agency in Ho Chi Minh City, from July 1st to August 31st.
- Taking visitors to historical and religious sites, national monuments and museums, natural attractions
- Answering visitors'questions
- Helping to organise tours Skills and personal requirements:
- Responsibility, patience, and a friendly personality
- Plenty of energy and enthusiasm
- Ability to find up-to-date information
- Good interpersonal skills and organisational skills
- Languages: English (required); French or others (desirable)
Please send your application to: [email protected] goodlife.com or Personnel Department, 186 ì Giang Van Minh St., Hũ Noi
6. Write a covering letter of around 180 words, applying for the job in 5. Use the suggestions below or your own information and ideas. (Viết một lá thư bao gồm khoảng 180 từ, ứng tuyển công việc trong 5. Sử dụng những gợi ý dưới đây hoặc các thông tin và ý tưởng của riêng bạn.)
Gợi ý viết thư:
Personnel Department Happy Travels 1861 Giang Van Minh St. Ha Noi
29 May 20...
Dear Sir or Madam,
I am writing in response to your advertisement in today's Viet Nam News for the post of tour guide at your agency in Ho Chi Minh City.
I enclose my cv for your information.
As you can see, I have previous experience which has prepared me for this position. I worked as an assistant tour guide for Binh Minh Travels in Ho Chi Minh City for eight weeks last summer. My responsibilities included giving information to visitors, accompanying groups of foreign tourists on overnight and multi-location tours, answering visitors' questions and keeping the tours organised, safe, and efficient.
I am an active and hard-working person.
I am also self-motivated, sociable, friendly, and enthusiastic. I have a good command of English and my IELTS score is 7.5. I sometimes work as a freelance interpreter and translator.
In addition, I can speak Spanish fluently, as well as a little French. If required, I can provide references and any additional information.
I am very keen to work for your agency and would be grateful for an opportunity to discuss my application with you in person. I would be available for an interview at any time.
Thank you very much for taking the time to consider this application.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Nguyen Minh Quang
Các bài học nên tham khảo